Statistical and Measurement Support Services
Statistical and Measurement Support Services is dedicated to promoting high-quality research within the University of Arkansas College of Education and Health Professions. In SMSS, senior graduate students and faculty from the Educational Statistics and Research Methods program provide research, statistical and measurement assistance to COEHP faculty, students and staff at no charge.
SMSS is not accepting clients in fall 2020, but ESRM hopes to find other ways to support COEHP researchers. We look forward to offering the resource as soon as circumstances change.
Statistical Support assists researchers at any stage of the research process — from project design to statistical analysis and interpretation of results. It can be most helpful to researchers throughout all stages of the research project but especially when consulted early during the planning and design stages. Please consider making a preliminary appointment with us early in your research process.
During the first meeting, the COEHP researcher will explain the study, including potential variables, research questions and goals to the consultant. They will provide the Statistical Support consultant with as much information as possible to facilitate a productive consultation. Helpful information may include research articles, presentations, abstracts, research proposals, timeline/deadlines and data sets. Subsequent meetings may be face-to-face in the office, virtual (e.g., Zoom or Skype), or through email.
Statistical Support consultants provide assistance with the following phases of the project:
- Planning and designing experiments
- Determining sampling techniques
- Survey selection and/or development
- Selecting and determining appropriate statistical analyses
- Data management
- Statistical software (e.g., SAS, SPSS, R, Mplus, G*Power)
- Performing analyses
- Interpreting analysis results
- Data visualization
- Reviewing methods and results sections for grants, dissertations/theses, manuscripts, scholarly presentations and reports
The support service does NOT:
- Assist with class homework and projects or provide tutoring services. If you are interested in these services, please visit the Statistics Help Lab, in GRAD 342. The walk-in Statistics Help Lab is staffed by Educational Statistics and Research Methods graduate students.
- Entry of data
- Write or format sections of a manuscript
- Conduct analyses on your behalf
- Perform literature reviews
Schedule your SMSS appointment! Statistical Support consultants will reach out to you to obtain further information once your application is submitted.
Statistical and Measurement Support Services is located in GRAD 342. Hours vary by semester. Find available hours this semester at its scheduling link.
If you would like more information, please email Allison Ames Boykin, Ph.D., faculty supervisor.